• Crypto Sex Toys - PPC Adult Mega Store - 1000's of products, Same Day Dispatch, Fleshlights!
  • Advertise here for 1 PPC per day
  • Escrow for your PPC (PeerCoin) Trades. Fuzzy Escrow Service 1% fee
  • Limited Edition - Physical Primecoins and Peercoins! - Each is 1 Troy Ounce of .999 Fine Silver - Available with other merchandise only at FiniteByDesign.com

Author Topic: Wall Observer - The PPC Speculation Thread  (Read 7804 times)

Offline d5000

• View Profile
Wall Observer - The PPC Speculation Thread
« on: May 27, 2013, 06:56:39 pm »
Hello Peercoiners,

welcome to the "Wall Observer" thread :)Thought it could be cool to have this here too ...

First some long/mid-term PPC/BTC charts:

All-Time chart at Vircurex (Since November 2012):

3 Month-Chart at Vircurex:

We can easily see that there was a turning point in early April 2013, when price rose from sub 0.001 levels to values betwen 0.001 and 0.003. Highest price at Vircurex was achieved at April 20, with 0.00329 BTC.

At BTC-E, PPC was introduced on April 6 (?). The price had a short bubble on the first days with values up to 0.00349, but then followed the price of Vircurex.

Now a short-term (1-Month) chart (BTC-E):

Last month was bearish for PPC, compared to BTC. It went from values around 0.003 to the actual price of ~ 0.0014. Nearly all alt-coins (except Novacoin, which is a PPC fork) have lost value in the past weeks, though. Probably this could relate to the recent multiple new alt-coin announcements at Bitcointalk, which drove some interest away from the established altcoins.

Compared to USD, as I remember, the PPC drop was not so dramatic, although the fluctuations due to BTC volatility were high. Actual PPC/USD price at Vircurex is around 0,20 USD. Good moment to buy, I think.

Are there PPC/USD charts anywhere?

Order books:

BTC-E:

Little buy wall at 0.00135 gives some support. No major ask walls. Up?

Vircurex:

Here, much lower volume and only a tiny 8 BTC "mini-wall" at 0.00135. Also here, no ask walls at all.

Vircurex PPC/USD (perhaps it will go away soon):

No real volume. Nearly every day there are some trades though.

Feel free to post your charts, analytics, predictions, wall pics (do they exist?) and other stuff.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:16:22 pm by d5000 »
PPC: PSiLBTVf3Hii3ZwW6wL99Cni3167pQdL1S
BTC: 1CJpRm9GWmCbtFkLTcuqioCh1vmVsozGPs

Offline calian

• View Profile
Re: Wall Observer - The PPC Speculation Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 08:10:23 am »
Thanks for getting this started. The wall observer conversation is my favorite so this actually convinced me to join the forum.

I've noticed the price weakness lately indicates a lack of new buyers but I've been watching the block reward expecting it to go up significantly as miners drop off due to low profitability (dustcoin shows we're at 75.91% of mining BTC) but so far it hasn't happened. It appears that PPC miners are either more committed to PPC than buyers, or they've set their miners and forgot about them. Either way it seems strange since with this level of discrepancy they could get more PPC by mining BTC and then buying them.

Offline calian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 08:17:55 am »
Also I've been paying attention to the market cap (currently 26941 BTC ~ $3,400,000.00). I can't find a way to track the market cap directly in USD though?

Although this is lower than it's been I still ascribe all but a couple hundred thousand of the price to rampant speculation. The reason more of this has been evaporating is partly because of the mushrooming number of altcoins showing the more competitive environment we're in and because I suspect PPC will be a very painful asset to hold during a downturn while it is still this small due to increasing block rewards with dropping hashing power. The stake rewards system caused me to call PPC the "rich get richer" coin but it appears that the compounding effect of downturns might make the opposite hold true as well?

Offline calian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:23:34 am »
Short-intermediate term I'm bearish but long term I think this comparison shows PPC's ace in the hole so long as Sunny stays active and hopefully gets some help:

Scroll down and look at the activity in github:

https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/commits/master

https://github.com/litecoin-project/litecoin/commits/master

Litecoin should be embarrassed.

Offline d5000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 02:40:09 pm »
Very interesting thoughts!

I am not involved in mining so I have not much idea of the common practices there.

The little development activity in Litecoin really surprised me.

One thing I had noted is that the PPC supporters seem not to be very prone to pump-and-dump schemes (with the exception of the first BTC-E bubble). For example, in late April/early May a well-known altcoin speculator ("Fontas") tried to pump-and-dump PPC and had very limited success.

Price seems to have stabilized for now at about 0.0014 BTC (last price 0.001380000 at BTC-E) after touching 0.0013 yesterday. If we form a double bottom there, price could go up again ;)But trading volume seems a bit low to confirm this. Also, we have now an relatively decent ask wall at 0.00143 (32K coins).

I also think that fundamentals for now do not sustain another PPC rally. Stability at the actual levels would be good for now. When we have the new logo/website and (above all) develop an active marketplace at ppcoin.org or here, that would be the next fundamental "buy" signal.

Offline romerun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 02:55:18 pm »
Short-intermediate term I'm bearish but long term I think this comparison shows PPC's ace in the hole so long as Sunny stays active and hopefully gets some help:

Scroll down and look at the activity in github:

https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/commits/master

https://github.com/litecoin-project/litecoin/commits/master

Litecoin should be embarrassed.

good point

Offline D3tail

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 10:46:13 pm »

I am not involved in mining so I have not much idea of the common practices there.

One thing I had noted is that the PPC supporters seem not to be very prone to pump-and-dump schemes (with the exception of the first BTC-E bubble). For example, in late April/early May a well-known altcoin speculator ("Fontas") tried to pump-and-dump PPC and had very limited success.

Price seems to have stabilized for now at about 0.0014 BTC (last price 0.001380000 at BTC-E) after touching 0.0013 yesterday. If we form a double bottom there, price could go up again ;)But trading volume seems a bit low to confirm this. Also, we have now an relatively decent ask wall at 0.00143 (32K coins).

I also think that fundamentals for now do not sustain another PPC rally. Stability at the actual levels would be good for now. When we have the new logo/website and (above all) develop an active marketplace at ppcoin.org or here, that would be the next fundamental "buy" signal.

This is one of the most accurate statements upon these forums.  I totally agree with you. 

Offline MeBeingAwesome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 11:25:37 pm »

Agreed. A market price for a stock or commodity reflects the best guess as to its long-term value. PPC development is still continually on-going, but the lack of big news in the last few weeks has likely led some investors to cash out and go explore some of the numerous alt-coins that continually pop up. I would suspect that we will be fairly stable at this price level in the near-term, and perhaps even a bit lower if new features (like an easily unlocked minting wallet or a proper website with consistent branding elements) don't materalize fast enough.

I also get the impression that more-so than other alt-currencies, PPCoin's early adopters are not as eager to cash out. That would be a good sign that the people holding the coins are invested in developing the financial infrastructure required to support a currency, rather than realizing short-term capital gains and moving on to the next alt currency.

Offline calian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 07:09:34 am »
Since this is the "wall observer" thread I think it's appropriate to ask how we can get the equivalent of bitcoinity/clarkmoody/bitcoinium/mtgoxlive/btccharts coded for PPC? Is the proofofstake.com guy here? Maybe he could do it.

Offline calian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 09:14:00 am »
What is the current PPC inflation rate? It seems like it's insanely high right now (5% per month or more). I don't know exactly where to see this but it looks like there are over 19 MM coins now and it wasn't that long ago there were only 18 MM.

Offline d5000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 04:48:04 pm »
As I tried to answer your question, I saw that at BTER there is a strange PPC rally which drove price there to nearly 0.002 again. The other exchanges stay at 0.0014. Arbitrage opportunity? (Edit: The volume is extremely low there, so it might have no significance at all).

I thought first it could be related to possible fiat withdrawal problems at BTER but it doesn't seem so because other cryptos have normal values there.

Now to the inflation question:
- 19091421.341173 coins created until now (source: cryptocoinexplorer.com)
- ~ 405 coins per block reward / 10 min (source: coinchoose.com)
- daily increase of about 2430 coins/h * 24 = 58320 (PoW only)
- 30 day increase: 1749600 coins = ~ 9.1 % + 0.1 % stake minting? = ~ 9.2 %

Seems a very high inflation rate,
(misleading, so edited) but Litecoin is 2x older than PPC and has about 5 % monthly inflation rate at the moment. Even Bitcoin has nearly 1 % / month. Actually we Peercoiners are all early adopters :)

Taking into account the inflation, then there perhaps were not so many investors cashing out this month but miners selling with a slightly dropping buying interest drove the price down.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:26:45 pm by d5000 »

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 12:52:42 am »
Now to the inflation question:
- 19091421.341173 coins created until now (source: cryptocoinexplorer.com)
- ~ 405 coins per block reward / 10 min (source: coinchoose.com)
- daily increase of about 2430 coins/h * 24 = 58320 (PoW only)
- 30 day increase: 1749600 coins = ~ 9.1 % + 0.1 % stake minting? = ~ 9.2 %

I probably should not give out the PPC secrets, but since we are all PPC enthusiasts let's take a look at the real PPC economy:
I have read somewhere that PPC is intended to have 2 PoS blocks for each Pow block. The PoS blocks give rewards 1% per year in coin days, but the reward only goes to the block finder, therefore PoS will never really get to the 1% across the network as only the block finder gets the reward.
So let's examine reward blocks: PoS less than 1 PPC now and PoW around 400PPC so I took a quick one day snapshot of the following 2 blocks:
Timestamp                Total PPCs
5/29/2013 23:24   19094362
5/28/2013 23:21   19082812
For 1 day of combined PoS & PoW blocks a total of 11,550 was created
30 day total for this snapshot: 346,500 gives us 1.81% per month

and this is the main reason why people undervalue PPC, they don't understand the PoS&PoW blockchain concept and base their math on Bitcoin block creation:
25*6*24*30 which gives them  108,000 and then the crazy PPC counts: 400*6*24*30 = 1,728,000 plus the crazy monthly inflation of 1%/12 of 19M coins. And that's how PPC costs are low on the exchanges.

Offline d5000

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 01:48:53 am »
That's really interesting! Thanks for the explanation!

Offline calian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 02:14:11 am »
Just noticed something interesting. Clark Moody has a PPC donate address on his bitcoin charting service. So far he's received just over 9 PPC. If PPC trading volume picks up do you think we can convince him to create a PPC livechart? http://ppc.cryptocoinexplorer.com/address/PQFNEjzKwwZBYXLU3ed2W7Xi2x76XK8L1S

Offline Gliss

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 06:39:47 pm »
Also I've been paying attention to the market cap (currently 26941 BTC ~ $3,400,000.00). I can't find a way to track the market cap directly in USD though?

Check out my site: http://coinmarketcap.com

I'm working on making longer term graphs for it.
Market cap rankings for the crypto coins @ http://coinmarketcap.com

PPC: PFmYzsBthwcEce2Erh44nXsTxPJsxnj7Mg