Author Topic: Newbie Thread - How to get started mining Primecoin  (Read 3582 times)

Offline glassuser

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
Newbie Thread - How to get started mining Primecoin
« on: July 16, 2013, 10:05:35 pm »
Hi all,

So this is how I first started, I read on this thread on how to mine,

http://ppcointalk.org/index.php?topic=316.0 (this OP made a great post and I would like to thank him for teaching me)

I went ahead and did further research and a fellow user recommend this new client that mines at a much faster hashrate, around 10 times faster! You can find this thread here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=255782.0

I went ahead and installed it and it did indeed increase my hashrate, currently running at around 2000-3000 primespersec

Offline ericwt

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Thread - How to get started mining Primecoin
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:12:19 pm »
That much faster? Wow!

Was it easy to install?

Heck it is going to be later tonight before I get the chance to use it. Darn business and earning a living thing.

Tonight I shall have it installed. ;D

Offline glassuser

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:21:24 pm »
Yea it is! I couldn't believe it when i first started but its true lol

Yea definitely get that going right away when you get home, let me know when you do

Offline ericwt

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 10:38:40 pm »
I am already home and at my business.  My business is in Belize Central America.

I already have the faster version downloaded.

What I need is an hour of total quiet to concentrate and give it my full attention. As it is I have employees and customer phone calls and interruptions.

You had no problem getting the original client to work.

However it took me 6 hours to realize I added a space in the wrong place with the first command. I corrected that and the client started to work.

So what is next? Are you  going to try mining on the cloud?

I am making notations on my speed with the original client so I will have something to compare it with when I try the new client.

I will let you know.

Offline glassuser

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 10:47:02 pm »
oh cool!

I'm over in Miami, Florida. Yea it is good to give it your full attention so you can learn exactly what to do, honestly after you learn it its pretty easy to get it setup.

Yea you need to make sure the commands are correct hehe, I was thinking about mining in the cloud but i want to see how i do with my computers here first, is it profitable doing it in the cloud?

Make notations of your speed so you can see how fast it increases with the new one.

For the installation of the new one, just download the program and replace the primecoin and the primecoind files with the ones in your harddrive, then just restart the program again and put the commands again "setgenerate true -1" and youre set, it might take a little while to pick up, like 5 mins, but after that you are ready.

Offline ericwt

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 11:15:39 pm »
Miami is a great place. I like tropical areas. :)

The only reason I mentioned it was because I left the world of commuting long ago.

If I get suck on the new optimization tonight I might ask you for some wisdom.

I do not know if the cloud pays off. But I am looking into it.

Offline craslovell

• Hashing away, the moments that make up a dull day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 11:49:27 pm »
Sunny King mentioned that PPS numbers do not necessarily reflect greater performance. In some of these builds, the people who create them reduced the sieve size to 100,000, which basically means yes you are doing more primepersec, but you are looking for less possible solutions.

On the thread you guys are mentioning, I've been running the HP2 client for a day or two now and it seems to be producing ok. If you really want to stick to something that you know will work, just run the primecoin-qt v.0.1.1 on the official download page.
PPC: PQKv5dNz9kgWpTSQDwbT3GGnqUghzhZ1mL
XPM: AYLXzB77w48bitdpBdoCjuCGEBzfoMnfnQ
Join the party: www.ppcoin.d7.lt

Offline ericwt

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 12:07:16 am »
Interesting, thank you. That is good information, craslovell. :)

Since I am doing this for fun and have multiple computers I shall keep the original client on my notebook and then try the optimized build on another computer.

If that works I will do, three computers on the original primecoin-qt v.0.1.1 and three computers on Sunny Ling's optimization.

If it does not work well I can always move back to the original client on all systems.

Sunny King mentioned that PPS numbers do not necessarily reflect greater performance. In some of these builds, the people who create them reduced the sieve size to 100,000, which basically means yes you are doing more primepersec, but you are looking for less possible solutions.

On the thread you guys are mentioning, I've been running the HP2 client for a day or two now and it seems to be producing ok. If you really want to stick to something that you know will work, just run the primecoin-qt v.0.1.1 on the official download page.

Offline glassuser

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 03:25:49 am »

Oh really, so you believe the original is the best one then. It seems to make sense what you say.

Offline glassuser

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 03:26:34 am »
Interesting, thank you. That is good information, craslovell. :)

Since I am doing this for fun and have multiple computers I shall keep the original client on my notebook and then try the optimized build on another computer.

If that works I will do, three computers on the original primecoin-qt v.0.1.1 and three computers on Sunny Ling's optimization.

If it does not work well I can always move back to the original client on all systems.

So on the 5 computers I have running i was able to mine 12.95 immature prime coins one computer, I'm not sure what that means exactly

Offline ericwt

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 04:19:37 am »
12.95 immature prime coins!

You have hit pay dirt my friend! ;D

What it means?

I do not have a clue. ;)

However it is great you seem to have got coins!

Offline glassuser

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 04:22:28 am »
12.95 immature prime coins!

You have hit pay dirt my friend! ;D

What it means?

I do not have a clue. ;)

However it is great you seem to have got coins!

hahah i was reading up on the immature thing, apparently i came up on some fork in the chain, maybe it could be due to the new client?

I just switched 2 comps back on the original client, lets see what happens then

Offline craslovell

• Hashing away, the moments that make up a dull day
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 04:38:28 am »
When you mine a new block of primecoins, they will be "immature" until approximately 3200 more blocks have been mined on the network. The block target is 1 minute for primecoin, so it should literally take about 2 full days for your coins to be available in your balance.

Blocks are being mined faster than the target rate though, due to the amount of solving power on the network, so it's possible it will only be about 12 hours until those coins are available in your balance. At that point you can do whatever you want with them  :)
PPC: PQKv5dNz9kgWpTSQDwbT3GGnqUghzhZ1mL
XPM: AYLXzB77w48bitdpBdoCjuCGEBzfoMnfnQ
Join the party: www.ppcoin.d7.lt

Offline glassuser

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 04:45:23 am »
When you mine a new block of primecoins, they will be "immature" until approximately 3200 more blocks have been mined on the network. The block target is 1 minute for primecoin, so it should literally take about 2 full days for your coins to be available in your balance.

Blocks are being mined faster than the target rate though, due to the amount of solving power on the network, so it's possible it will only be about 12 hours until those coins are available in your balance. At that point you can do whatever you want with them  :)

Ohh awesome, thanks for that, i've mined my first block then :)

I went ahead and switched over some of my computers to run on the original client to see which performs better, the computer that got the 12.95 coins was running on the new client.

Btw, do you know where the wallet.dat is stored in windows?

thanks!

Offline glassuser

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 04:46:53 am »
hey craslovell, i see that you run your own mining pool for primecoin? could you explain more how that works please, I'm interested