Author Topic: PPCoin weekly updates From the Developer behind PPC SunnyKing  (Read 43104 times)

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: PPCoin weekly updates From the Developer behind PPC SunnyKing
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 01:45:44 pm »
January 07, 2013, 05:23:52 AM
Weekly Update #20

Release 0.3 is about 80% code complete and the new code is under some preliminary testing right now. Given the current progress and to ensure the quality of the protocol upgrade we might extend the testing period by 1-2 weeks before final release. So that means the release would be around end of January.
Our seed nodes infrastructure recently experienced frequent outages. So for new nodes or nodes trying to redownload block chain you might experience connection issues. Running nodes shouldn't have these problems as those can always connect to other operational peers. I am trying to check the seed node status everyday so generally if you cannot connect as a new node just wait some time and it should be able to.

Have a fun week!
BTC: 1FvMYwtkrQakoL8Zq1GjfKqTkm2a7TKt6N  |  LTC: LbMPUzwPRkWa5hCJGrEiRCeoYExY6Ujt1D  |  DEV: 1JfbPx4nSGFxfzhTK1h3gHbp1E1BkFbwFW
PPC: PDtcFPhMa9Hc9zTfoRG7zcURCRpcpRdMym  |  TRC: 1FzdruHpffAeW2ZBctDLwR8P4APVpATu2j  |  FRC: 1BADxscUvT42SFXZwXgxEfWVDHkV1QPTEj
NMC: N7q9zg9h4Scfx6R25RTL8LdGxCBQbgq8wz  |

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 01:46:19 pm »
January 15, 2013, 03:23:57 AM
Weekly Update #21

Release 0.3 is now 90% code complete. First round of unit testing has been completed. Over this week testing on testnet is being prepared.
Over the next two weeks we plan to migrate the seed nodes. Short periods of down time (no connection) is possible for new nodes and nodes attempting a redownload of block chain. Existing nodes shouldn't be affected.
Due to exchange rate drop proof-of-work difficulty dropped below 30000. We remind investors and traders be fully aware of the experimental nature of the project and the volatility in market, and manage risks accordingly. With ASIC release looming the bitcoin difficulty is expected to rise quickly in the following months. Further volatility of exchange rate is expected due to this.

Have fun!
BTC: 1FvMYwtkrQakoL8Zq1GjfKqTkm2a7TKt6N  |  LTC: LbMPUzwPRkWa5hCJGrEiRCeoYExY6Ujt1D  |  DEV: 1JfbPx4nSGFxfzhTK1h3gHbp1E1BkFbwFW
PPC: PDtcFPhMa9Hc9zTfoRG7zcURCRpcpRdMym  |  TRC: 1FzdruHpffAeW2ZBctDLwR8P4APVpATu2j  |  FRC: 1BADxscUvT42SFXZwXgxEfWVDHkV1QPTEj

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 01:46:48 pm »
January 21, 2013, 06:36:18 AM
Weekly Update #22

Testing continued with 0.3 protocol and revealed some bugs with the new code. I expect testnet testing on protocol switch to be initiated some time this week, when the core code is considered reasonably stabilized.
The 0.3 protocol upgrade involves changing the way hash is computed to generate stake transactions (known as coinstake). The transition for users should have minimal impact as there is no effect on existing wallet balance, transactions and minting related protocols of the network. The new protocol replaces the current proof-of-stake difficulty in the role of stake modifier inside the proof-of-stake hashing computation (not to be confused with proof-of-work hashing, which remains unchanged). The stake modifier is a part of the hash inputs to scramble the computation so nodes cannot compute the future stake from a coin when the coin is first confirmed into block chain. The new protocol generates the stake modifier from roughly 10 days of future blocks from when the coin is first confirmed into block chain. This should reasonably resolve all currently known vulnerabilities regarding stake generation.
Due to the technical nature of implementing and switching a core part of the protocol, we feel it's prudent to thoroughly test it before 0.3 release, lest critical bugs hitting block chain. Meanwhile, I am also contemplating releasing an unpolished gui build with 0.3 release, to help current gui wallet users with the upgrade. The final 0.3 release date would likely be determined in the next two weeks depending on the progress of testnet testing.

Have a fun week!

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 01:47:17 pm »
January 28, 2013, 08:10:29 AM
Weekly Update #23

0.3 protocol is code complete. Testing continues on the release and I have just started testing with testnet protocol switch.
The hosting provider for our seed nodes infrastructure is undergoing some migration pain and the recent support has been less than stellar. I would need to look for alternative providers next week (preferrably accepting bitcoin, recommendations are welcome). Meanwhile some downtime is expected over next few weeks, for new nodes and nodes redownloading the block chain. Existing running nodes shouldn't be affected.
If I manage to still have some extra time I might start looking into qt build for the release.

Have fun!

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 01:47:54 pm »
February 04, 2013, 03:21:56 AM
Weekly Update #24

The seed nodes have been successfully migrated this week. The new servers have been running smoothly the last couple days. Also thanks for Andy and xchrix for volunteering their nodes. Hopefully the seed nodes would now have better availability for block chain download.
Testnet has been successfully switched to the new v0.3 protocol. The new code looks to have stabilized and I will continue testing on test network this week. I will also test building qt client in our official build for possible inclusion in the 0.3 release.
The official build of ppcoin adopts bitcoin's verifiable build system (gitian-builder). This system allows developers to verify the integrity of the final release binaries. In theory users can verify the build too by following the same build procedures but currently the process is quite involved. This is part of the reasons why we haven't supported qt in release build yet. We believe that delivering trustable executable files is very important to our users.
The first ASIC miner has been delivered on the market. Another milestone in the young history of bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Congratulations!

Have a fun week!

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 01:48:25 pm »
February 11, 2013, 08:42:06 AM
Weekly Update #25

Testing of 0.3 release continues on testnet. System has stabilized and no significant issues have been found this week.
Windows Qt build testing is successful this week, and works have been done so it is now confirmed that Qt begins support in 0.3 release.
Current plan is to have a final week of testing. Barring further issues, v0.3 will be released afterwards.

Have fun!

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 01:49:02 pm »
February 18, 2013, 05:19:07 AM
Weekly Update #26

v0.3 release is under final validation and release builds are being prepared.
Qt UI begins support in v0.3.
Release is expected to be published in the next few days. This is a mandatory upgrade release and deadline for upgrade is scheduled for March 20th.
This week the first ppcoin fork known as novacoin has been released. The network hash rate of novacoin rose quickly, it's difficulty peaked over 10. Despite the controversy surrounding its release and the subsequent DDoS attack on btc-e, market response seems quite enthusiastic. Please note I am not involved in novacoin in any way, but I am happy to see other developers valuing ppcoin design and forking from it.
Recently we have also seen another project known as ripple released, with its own currency called 'Ripple' or XRP. The design of XRP also attempts to eliminate energy consumption to secure a cryptocurrency, however the design choices are very different, with different properties regarding  the level of decentralization. Even though I am yet to be convinced that the technicals are sound I will keep an eye on this interesting new development.

Have fun!

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 01:49:34 pm »
February 23, 2013, 10:23:41 PM
Weekly Update #27

v0.3.0 has been released. Upgrade should be performed before protocol switch on March 20th. A block chain re-download is necessary for the upgrade. See the 0.3 release thread for detailed instruction: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=144964.0
v0.3 protocol involves several changes, first the proof-of-stake hash modifier is switched to one computed from roughly 9 days worth of blocks. The blocks are grouped and 64 blocks are selected based on a 'selection hash'. Then each selected block contributes one bit to the modifier. The purpose of stake modifier is to prevent stake owner from manipulating future stake generation at the time the coin is confirmed into block chain.
Two other protocol changes are made: stake hash weight now starts from 0 at 30-day minimum age requirement; coinstake timestamp now must match block timestamp.
Overall I think the 0.3 protocol should fix the known vulnerability of stake generation and make proof-of-stake protection much stronger.
Qt UI is now available in official build and supported from v0.3.0 on. User who prefers UI would enjoy the release I think, and I did give you a good treat by making the splash artwork myself and hope you all like it
v0.4 designs should start in the next couple weeks, while I continue to monitor the network for the switch in March.
My current 0.4 plan is to begin supporting database usage in limited fashion. 0.4 should allow user to create something known as identity, with names associated with it. An RPC command 'sendtoidentity' would allow users to send ppcoins to names instead of addresses. This feature is present in namecoin. But I probably would redesign the database usage for ppcoin and it's going to be a bit different from how namecoin does things.
A good couple months for me I am relieved that 0.3 is finally done. And I also enjoy watching all the new projects going on like ripple and novacoin.

Have fun!

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 01:50:03 pm »
March 03, 2013, 10:53:23 PM
Weekly Update #28

After I motioned for a market cap ranking list dust did an excellent job of including this information into his mining profitability comparison portal: http://dustcoin.com/
So far ppcoin has been in a close match with devcoin, in terms of market cap. I observe that people have put a lot of faith into scrypt mining, which I believe to be the main reason of high valuation of litecoin and novacoin. Of course all the altcoins are now dwarfed by ripple, which made a splash debut with an initial giveaway on bitcointalk altcoin subforum. Ripple team has done a lot of work on real features, while taking on a lot of risks. I will continue to closely watch the market development of all the competitions.
Network has been running smoothly so far during the transition period to 0.3 protocol. Please remember to upgrade your client to v0.3.0 before the protocol switch scheduled for March 20th.
Official faucet is now under development. Stay tuned on its progress.

Have fun!

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 01:50:36 pm »
Weekly Update #29

Faucet is now operational on ppcoin.org
I have also created a bitaddress page compatible with ppcoin 0.3.0 address/private key format. It is currently open for public testing at http://ppcoin.org/bitaddress
Please remember to upgrade to v0.3.0 before protocol switch on March 20th.

Have fun!

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 01:51:21 pm »
March 18, 2013, 05:48:02 AM
Weekly Update #30

The week saw significant market activity in altcoins. Investors should use caution in a volatile market.
I am happy that more users are gaining interest in ppcoin and other altcoins, although this is presumably due to bitcoin's recent issues. I will continue to watch bitcoin's v0.8.1 release and follow up on the large block fork issue. To be fair, I think Bitcoin developers once again handled the situation reasonably well.
I have received invitation from Bitcoin Foundation to join a panel on altcoin during the California Conference in May. If anyone is going to the conference and interested in presenting ppcoin please let me know.
Another reminder that v0.3 protocol switch is scheduled for March 20th and please upgrade your client if you haven't yet done so. I will be watching the switch on Wednesday closely.

Have fun!

Offline Guido

• View Profile
    • Quark Coin
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 02:02:16 am »
March 18, 2013, 05:48:02 AM
Weekly Update #30

I have received invitation from Bitcoin Foundation to join a panel on altcoin during the California Conference in May. If anyone is going to the conference and interested in presenting ppcoin please let me know.

interesting
http://forum.quarkcoin.org

Offline romerun

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 04:28:36 pm »
has PPC made it to the conference ?

Offline brenzi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 12:33:56 pm »
This thread is far away from its initial purpose. Please:

unsticky it and change title to include DEPRECATED
make new sticky thread that doesn't allow common users to reply.
convine sunny to post his weekly updates here and favourably only here

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 12:41:29 pm »
This thread is far away from its initial purpose. Please:

unsticky it and change title to include DEPRECATED
make new sticky thread that doesn't allow common users to reply.
convine sunny to post his weekly updates here and favourably only here
Will do my best :)