Author Topic: Boast how many block u solved, PPS and length of time mining  (Read 3309 times)

Offline 1l1l11ll1l

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: Boast how many block u solved, PPS and length of time mining
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2013, 04:18:59 am »
Here's my Primecoin set-up. Total of 18 Quad core Xeon CPUs. Totaling around 45k PPS on HP8

Offline craslovell

• Hashing away, the moments that make up a dull day
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2013, 08:48:31 am »
Looks good! Although staring at your setup almost makes me feel like I'm at work  ::)
PPC: PQKv5dNz9kgWpTSQDwbT3GGnqUghzhZ1mL
XPM: AYLXzB77w48bitdpBdoCjuCGEBzfoMnfnQ
Join the party: www.ppcoin.d7.lt

Offline mhps

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2013, 02:50:14 am »
Suggestions to all new coins to be released: release it during northern hemisphere winter so most people at least will have an expensive heater when the mining machines hum 7/24  ;)
PPC PU6zS8RRBWP2UxhuRFengGsu8n4tEYB5xV XPM AJAgBpPjGQoL38mrtW91dVqhbMHqu25vfG

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2013, 11:05:46 am »
Suggestions to all new coins to be released: release it during northern hemisphere winter so most people at least will have an expensive heater when the mining machines hum 7/24  ;)

Did make me think Sunnyking maybe in southern hemisphere as both PPC and XPM were launched during the summer..... either that or he has kids and that's when the wife takes them off on holiday and he is given free reign of the house and his time and hence launches his new coins :P

BTC: 1FvMYwtkrQakoL8Zq1GjfKqTkm2a7TKt6N  |  LTC: LbMPUzwPRkWa5hCJGrEiRCeoYExY6Ujt1D  |  DEV: 1JfbPx4nSGFxfzhTK1h3gHbp1E1BkFbwFW
PPC: PDtcFPhMa9Hc9zTfoRG7zcURCRpcpRdMym  |  TRC: 1FzdruHpffAeW2ZBctDLwR8P4APVpATu2j  |  FRC: 1BADxscUvT42SFXZwXgxEfWVDHkV1QPTEj
NMC: N7q9zg9h4Scfx6R25RTL8LdGxCBQbgq8wz  |

Offline MUTO

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2013, 11:22:17 am »
Got two blocks over the weekend @ nearly 40k pps.  :(But it´s still a better quote the mining at ypool atm. But when the diff is going up more and more, someday I have to switch over.

Offline king_pin

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2013, 01:18:53 am »
Which CPU will you advice me to buy for mining XPM on a s1155 machine?
I want to upgrade anyways, so why not get some XPM. I can get good prices on:
   I3-3XXX
   I5-3XXX
   I7-3770

Which one is the best - performance vs. price?

Offline mhps

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2013, 02:44:59 am »
Which CPU will you advice me to buy for mining XPM on a s1155 machine?
I want to upgrade anyways, so why not get some XPM. I can get good prices on:
   I3-3XXX
   I5-3XXX
   I7-3770

Which one is the best - performance vs. price?

That's a really hard question. We don't even know why certain machines appear more effective than others. Some people claim that certain AMD processors are even faster. Even these anecdotal evidences are real, it's probably due to some features in the current miner software unintentionally hitting sweet spot of these CPU/architecture. If the miner software changes the feature, e.g. a replacement of  certain algorithm, then the advantage could disappear.

You could get one of each and run the latest miner and see which gets more 5-chains/h, or performs better on testnet. But neither is a sure indicator of mining speed.
PPC PU6zS8RRBWP2UxhuRFengGsu8n4tEYB5xV XPM AJAgBpPjGQoL38mrtW91dVqhbMHqu25vfG

Offline AlexMc

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2013, 03:01:11 am »
This may help you with your decision:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/benchmarks,140.html

It's the CPU chart from Tom's Hardware, and it includes all the processors you have mentioned as well as a varity of benchmarks.

Finding Primecoin blocks has more to do with luck than processing speed.  I've mined 24/7  for a few weeks now with 3 different processors, and the number of blocks I've found on each system has no relation to their speed.  Unfortunately, the chart I've linked to doesn't have a "CPU Luckyness" benchmark!

I'm assuming that Primecoin mining is not the only thing you are going to use the computer for, so I'd recommend looking at the benchmarks for whatever it's other uses will be.
XPM: AHAvjpJMzyhRF9urRzNDajrCLe6DJ981Zy

Offline ekco

• Ahoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2013, 03:22:57 am »
Got two blocks over the weekend @ nearly 40k pps.  :(But it´s still a better quote the mining at ypool atm. But when the diff is going up more and more, someday I have to switch over.

Wow. I had about 60K pps split among several machines and found 17 blocks. That's just bad luck, mate.

fwiw, I have found that I have much better luck on machines where I compiled Openssl (CentOS) than ones where I did not (Ubuntu)

XPM: AKdjLt941fj1V5yvGDwMTMjewrZqJS1UYb
BTC: 17LMVsaysvdAAU9kEHARouRaoEAqsCum3L

Offline king_pin

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2013, 12:09:34 am »
...luck...
This is the key word, but at the end if you have enough power to cut down variance luck should not matter.  ::)
The CPUs will be put on my scrypt miners around 20 machines with s1155, so they will be used only for Primecoin mining.
Now I Have Celerons G550 G1610 etc. I can return them, pay some extra and get something more powerful so I guess I will go for the 3k series

Offline alatvian

• A Latvian, un-hyphenated American
    • View Profile
    • 6th Street Radio
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2013, 06:55:12 am »
On my little Intel 3 GHz dual core box, I see this:
Code: [Select]
    "primespersec" : 142,
    "chainsperday" : 0.02146100,
It's been running for 3 days, and nothing.  Some of these posts suggest that I might find one block within a few days.  Others say that 10x my PPS rate might result in a block within a month.  I have no idea who's telling the truth.  I really like the concept of XPM and would like to be spending my cycles on something useful, but I have a sinking feeling that this is already out of reach for someone not willing to dump another $1k into equipment. 

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2013, 10:35:48 am »
It's been running for 3 days, and nothing.  Some of these posts suggest that I might find one block within a few days.  Others say that 10x my PPS rate might result in a block within a month.  I have no idea who's telling the truth.  I really like the concept of XPM and would like to be spending my cycles on something useful, but I have a sinking feeling that this is already out of reach for someone not willing to dump another $1k into equipment.

Pool mine my friend...  ypool.net is your friend :)
BTC: 1FvMYwtkrQakoL8Zq1GjfKqTkm2a7TKt6N  |  LTC: LbMPUzwPRkWa5hCJGrEiRCeoYExY6Ujt1D  |  DEV: 1JfbPx4nSGFxfzhTK1h3gHbp1E1BkFbwFW
PPC: PDtcFPhMa9Hc9zTfoRG7zcURCRpcpRdMym  |  TRC: 1FzdruHpffAeW2ZBctDLwR8P4APVpATu2j  |  FRC: 1BADxscUvT42SFXZwXgxEfWVDHkV1QPTEj

Offline FoldingTime

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2013, 03:27:53 pm »
My first 8 hours of mining XPM I got 2 blocks  ;D

1 from my i7 3.5GHz 4 core
1 from an Amazon EC2 8 core beast

Since then 1.5 days later and nothing ...

I'm thinking of going over to the pool to see if that makes much difference. Anyway, I've been digging through the log files and charted the difficulty level as every time I look it has gone up. Here is the chart any way:

Offline alatvian

• A Latvian, un-hyphenated American
    • View Profile
    • 6th Street Radio
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2013, 06:16:13 pm »

Always with the pools.  I ran it for 12 hours and didn't get one share.  Even CPU mining with litecoin will generate a share every once in a while.  I dunno.

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2013, 08:36:42 pm »

Always with the pools.  I ran it for 12 hours and didn't get one share.  Even CPU mining with litecoin will generate a share every once in a while.  I dunno.
Are you using the latest version of their miner? its on 0.3.5 last i checked, and one downside I have noticed on the pool if you are not using the latest miner chances are yes you will not get a share... i have some very old cpu's running on the pool and yes just like litecoin they will get a share every once in a while.. but i had not updated from the 0.3.2 version and had a day or two without any shares or coins.

FuzzyBear