Author Topic: Boast how many block u solved, PPS and length of time mining  (Read 2425 times)

Offline urubu

• View Profile
Re: Boast how many block u solved, PPS and length of time mining
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 05:06:58 am »
I got my first block after 23 hours of mining at 120 PPS...

lukejr on bitcointalk is claiming 1000PPS on a basic processor with some coding optimizations. Now we know where all the blocks are going.

If only I could code!

FROM BITCOIN FORUM
LukeJr, do you have any hints for people getting started on where to look or what to look for?  Are you running Linux?
Well, the most obvious one was hashing the block header once per nonce instead of 1-3x...
I think the rest of my optimizations required actually comprehending the code :)

I have no skillz in the programming stuff, but this would be nice to figure out.
P9wpUEqE26G79tTQye3eR46JSiWZBgfV1k

Offline gudmunsn

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 07:36:15 am »
6 Different CPUs
Around 350 PPS combined
3 blocks in 24 hours  :(

I guarantee that is above average right now. Good stuff!

I'm at 86 PPS using 3 of 4 threads on an I3-3225 FSB OCd from 3.3 to 3.4 GHz. Ivy Bridge and Haswell CPUs seem to be killing it right now for PPC. Wondering if my LTC mining will be hampered if I use all 4 threads?

Perhaps it is above average but gudmunsn makes me feel inferior  :P

I noticed with my rigs that cgminer is definitely impacted by using all cores. You have to save it a small slice of the processing power!

Don't worry. My mining has been significantly slowed for some reason. In the last 9 hours, I've only found 1 block...and the diff has only gone from 7 at start to 7.257. I wonder what "difficulty" with primecoin means? Perhaps it is a lot different than bitcoin/litecoin/copycatcoin diff...

Offline MUTO

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 07:42:18 am »
3 Blocks on my Notebook i5 2,5 Ghz, Win 7, ~70 PPS
2 Blocks on my workstation Xeon Quadcore 3 Ghz, Win 7, ~100 PPS
0 Blocks on my server 2x Xeon Quadcore 2,5 Ghz, Ubuntu, ~ 20 PPS
1 Block on my server 2x Xeon Quadcore 2,5 Ghz, Ubuntu, ~ 20 PPS
2 Blocks on my server 2x Xeon Quadcore 2,7 Ghz, Win 7, ~70 PPS

Still wondering about the performance of my server. Thought I could really good mine with them. But the best Miner seems to be my notebook which does have the by far lowest CPU power  :oWhat´s wrong there?

@SUNNY
Is there something coded in the miner to slow down on machines with many cores (my servers have 16 virtual cores)?

@ALL
Can you confirm, that the Linux miner is slower?

Offline Gliss

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 08:24:23 am »
I got my first block after 23 hours of mining at 120 PPS...

lukejr on bitcointalk is claiming 1000PPS on a basic processor with some coding optimizations. Now we know where all the blocks are going.

If only I could code!

FROM BITCOIN FORUM
LukeJr, do you have any hints for people getting started on where to look or what to look for?  Are you running Linux?
Well, the most obvious one was hashing the block header once per nonce instead of 1-3x...
I think the rest of my optimizations required actually comprehending the code :)

I have no skillz in the programming stuff, but this would be nice to figure out.

For anyone looking to optimize, i think this is one of the places where lukejr is talking about: https://github.com/primecoin/primecoin/blob/master/src/main.cpp#L4610
Hashing it twice when you only need to hash once.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:27:46 am by gliss »
Market cap rankings for the crypto coins @ http://coinmarketcap.com

PPC: PFmYzsBthwcEce2Erh44nXsTxPJsxnj7Mg

Offline DudeGuy

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 08:22:15 pm »
Anyone going to put together a stand alone CPU miner? I'm not loaded in coins but I'll offer up 2LTC for anyone who wants to build it. There is another request by Volkshork and a donation of 1BTC to dev.

Offline XPMiner

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 08:27:09 pm »
I've mined 18 blocks with about 1500 PPS costs me about $10 a day been mining for 18 hours.
XPM: AbPbhpodUx4DDPpgrYUCuGrTVehqiVxHes | LTC: LSRn1M1kp7cukPnn9K6UcckVP5Mi3FA7PZ | BTC: 1CGz2zaJeJ1Bg5ttVtzNbNuR13ThchPHyk

Offline gudmunsn

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 09:18:27 pm »
I've compiled a linux binary for ubuntu that appears to get a bit of a speed increase after 20 mins of running. It has some architecture specific compile options as well as some of the hashing performance methods updated that luke-jr mentioned on bitcointalk. I am testing to see if it actually helps me find more blocks now.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:24:11 pm by gudmunsn »

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 11:25:01 pm »
Anyone going to put together a stand alone CPU miner? I'm not loaded in coins but I'll offer up 2LTC for anyone who wants to build it. There is another request by Volkshork and a donation of 1BTC to dev.

sigh i should have had a pop at this tonight... bet there will be one released by the time i'd get to try building one... oh well i'll start on it and see where i get
BTC: 1FvMYwtkrQakoL8Zq1GjfKqTkm2a7TKt6N  |  LTC: LbMPUzwPRkWa5hCJGrEiRCeoYExY6Ujt1D  |  DEV: 1JfbPx4nSGFxfzhTK1h3gHbp1E1BkFbwFW
PPC: PDtcFPhMa9Hc9zTfoRG7zcURCRpcpRdMym  |  TRC: 1FzdruHpffAeW2ZBctDLwR8P4APVpATu2j  |  FRC: 1BADxscUvT42SFXZwXgxEfWVDHkV1QPTEj
NMC: N7q9zg9h4Scfx6R25RTL8LdGxCBQbgq8wz  |

Offline parachatt

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 12:03:38 am »
I5 2500K overclocked 4.5 GHz ram 8 Go Windows 7
Mining Time : 24 hours
PPS average : 175 primepersec
Blocks solved : 6 + 1 Orphan

Offline craslovell

• Hashing away, the moments that make up a dull day
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 03:24:31 am »

sigh i should have had a pop at this tonight... bet there will be one released by the time i'd get to try building one... oh well i'll start on it and see where i get

Be my hero Fuzzy  8)
PPC: PQKv5dNz9kgWpTSQDwbT3GGnqUghzhZ1mL
XPM: AYLXzB77w48bitdpBdoCjuCGEBzfoMnfnQ
Join the party: www.ppcoin.d7.lt

Offline craslovell

• Hashing away, the moments that make up a dull day
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 03:26:52 am »
3 Blocks on my Notebook i5 2,5 Ghz, Win 7, ~70 PPS
2 Blocks on my workstation Xeon Quadcore 3 Ghz, Win 7, ~100 PPS
1 Block on my server 2x Xeon Quadcore 2,5 Ghz, Ubuntu, ~ 20 PPS
2 Blocks on my server 2x Xeon Quadcore 2,7 Ghz, Win 7, ~70 PPS

Still wondering about the performance of my server. Thought I could really good mine with them. But the best Miner seems to be my notebook which does have the by far lowest CPU power  :oWhat´s wrong there?

@SUNNY
Is there something coded in the miner to slow down on machines with many cores (my servers have 16 virtual cores)?

@ALL
Can you confirm, that the Linux miner is slower?

From what I've gathered talking to people who can actually code (definitely not myself), it looks like it might be a problem of sieve size per core. If it's too large the CPU cache can't handle it.

I mined for a few hours with a fairly "stacked" server and 0 PPS the entire time, not a single block. Once some optimizations take place I think this might be possible.
PPC: PQKv5dNz9kgWpTSQDwbT3GGnqUghzhZ1mL
XPM: AYLXzB77w48bitdpBdoCjuCGEBzfoMnfnQ
Join the party: www.ppcoin.d7.lt

Offline mhps

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 05:39:49 am »
T0 is the PrimeCoin release time.

Xeon E5620 2.4G using 3-4 core out of 8 ( 10-60 pps) starting at T0+4hr
found blocks after 6hr, 24hr

i7 L620 2.0G laptop using  2-3 core out of 4 ( 5-28 pps) starting at T0+4hr
found blocks after 9hr

i5 650 3.2G desktop using all 4 cores ( 50-85 pps) starting at T0+12hr
found blocks after 16hr, 23hr, 29hr

Someone with much more power machines have found much less blocks than I did. It makes me  wonder maybe the official miner was coded using optimization methods and/or compilation switches specific to a certain type of CPUs or chipsets, so that this type of CPUs mines faster.
tips: PPC PU6zS8RRBWP2UxhuRFengGsu8n4tEYB5xV XPM AJAgBpPjGQoL38mrtW91dVqhbMHqu25vfG

Offline MUTO

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 07:03:25 am »

From what I've gathered talking to people who can actually code (definitely not myself), it looks like it might be a problem of sieve size per core. If it's too large the CPU cache can't handle it.

I mined for a few hours with a fairly "stacked" server and 0 PPS the entire time, not a single block. Once some optimizations take place I think this might be possible.

Thanks for that. I will switch off HT. This will result in 8 instead of 16 cores per machine. Posting updates tomorrow. Please see actual stat of my machines (all running since Monday) below. I removed PPS since Sunny said on bitcointalk that this number is just for fun and says nothing:
The primespersec measure is for fun only, it does not necessarily reflect true mining performance. The only accurate measure is block rate, that is, given a fixed difficulty how fast can you generate blocks. To measure this one can use a lower difficulty than the network difficulty.

4 (3) Blocks on my Notebook i5 2,5 Ghz, Win 7
5 (2) Blocks on my workstation Xeon Quadcore 3 Ghz, Win 7
0 (0) Blocks on my server 2x Xeon Quadcore 2,5 Ghz, Ubuntu
0 (0) Blocks on my server 2x Xeon Quadcore 2,5 Ghz, Ubuntu
1 (1) Block on my server 2x Xeon Quadcore 2,5 Ghz, Ubuntu
3 (2) Blocks on my server 2x Xeon Quadcore 2,7 Ghz, Win 7
1 (0) Block on my really crappy P4 running on one core

Edit: Turned off HT on all Servers, on one server I turned of half of the cores additional (4 Cores left). I´m very excited what will be the results.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:31:38 am by MUTO »

Offline CoinBuzz

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 02:58:08 pm »
Is it safe to copy same wallet files over multiple PC's, for running multiple instance of mining ?

Offline mhps

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 04:18:06 pm »
Is it safe to copy same wallet files over multiple PC's, for running multiple instance of mining ?

Not a good idea. See my post here http://ppcointalk.org/index.php?topic=336.msg2162#msg2162
tips: PPC PU6zS8RRBWP2UxhuRFengGsu8n4tEYB5xV XPM AJAgBpPjGQoL38mrtW91dVqhbMHqu25vfG