Author Topic: Mining PPC with a Block Erupter USB?  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Rejinx

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
Mining PPC with a Block Erupter USB?
« on: June 19, 2013, 03:21:31 am »
I just received my Block Erupter USB.  The main reason I wanted one was to mine PPC or other future compatible coins.   
However, I read that it could be a job to get it working on other coins. 

Is anyone Mining PPC with this device and if so, how would I go about setting it up?

Thank for any help you can provide.  :D

Offline craslovell

• Hashing away, the moments that make up a dull day
    • View Profile
Re: Mining PPC with a Block Erupter USB?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 03:39:08 am »
Hi Rejinx,

Are you using cgminer as a mining application? If so, have you tried launching cgminer without any parameters specified? It should ask you if you'd like to plug in a USB device.
PPC: PQKv5dNz9kgWpTSQDwbT3GGnqUghzhZ1mL
XPM: AYLXzB77w48bitdpBdoCjuCGEBzfoMnfnQ
Join the party: www.ppcoin.d7.lt

Offline Rejinx

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 03:54:22 am »
Are you using cgminer as a mining application? If so, have you tried launching cgminer without any parameters specified? It should ask you if you'd like to plug in a USB device.

I am using CGminer.  IT auto detects the device and ask me the pool server address: then Username and password. 

Someone said you couldn't just mine Altcoins, you had to change something.  but I never tried.

Do you use a ASIC device?  I guess I could just try it.

Offline irritant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 04:19:16 am »
some altcoins use a different algorithm than bitcoin, for ppcoin this is not true, it is the same (sha256), the different algorithm you can not mine on with your sha256 asic is scrypt, here is a list of different cryptocurrencies, with their corresponding algorithm

http://www.coinchoose.com/

Offline craslovell

• Hashing away, the moments that make up a dull day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 04:54:01 am »
As irritant explained, I would assume it is plug and play for you since PPC is sha256. I don't believe there is any additional setup. Point it at ppcoin.d7.lt pool and give it a shot  :D
PPC: PQKv5dNz9kgWpTSQDwbT3GGnqUghzhZ1mL
XPM: AYLXzB77w48bitdpBdoCjuCGEBzfoMnfnQ
Join the party: www.ppcoin.d7.lt

Offline calian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 08:20:52 am »
These are the other two PPC pools Sunny has mentioned.
coinotron: http://coinotron.com
The Seven's: http://theseven.bounceme.net/~theseven/pool/

Offline Rejinx

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 01:28:50 pm »
I appauded all of you for your helpful answers.  8)

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 02:00:23 pm »
I appauded all of you for your helpful answers.  8)

Have you got ur USB ASIC working as you want it now?? I also have one and am currently mining BTC but can post some settings that I needed to run with cgminer... like

Code: [Select]
cgminer.exe --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S COM7

Though u will need to see what device COM # ur USB is on ur computer... mine was 7 but yours may be different.

Hope this helps and shout if you need further info/assistance...

also just be careful with ur miner... take note what USB hub u using as there are reports i seen from people where the hub has fried all their USB miners and the miner can no longer use them... post about it here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195037.msg2507872#msg2507872

info i used to get mining on the device was here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195037.msg2299251#msg2299251

FuzzyBear
BTC: 1FvMYwtkrQakoL8Zq1GjfKqTkm2a7TKt6N  |  LTC: LbMPUzwPRkWa5hCJGrEiRCeoYExY6Ujt1D  |  DEV: 1JfbPx4nSGFxfzhTK1h3gHbp1E1BkFbwFW
PPC: PDtcFPhMa9Hc9zTfoRG7zcURCRpcpRdMym  |  TRC: 1FzdruHpffAeW2ZBctDLwR8P4APVpATu2j  |  FRC: 1BADxscUvT42SFXZwXgxEfWVDHkV1QPTEj
NMC: N7q9zg9h4Scfx6R25RTL8LdGxCBQbgq8wz  |

Offline Rejinx

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 01:59:30 am »
Though u will need to see what device COM # ur USB is on ur computer... mine was 7 but yours may be different.

also just be careful with ur miner... take note what USB hub u using as there are reports i seen from people where the hub has fried all their USB miners and the miner can no longer use them... post about it here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195037.msg2507872#msg2507872

info i used to get mining on the device was here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195037.msg2299251#msg2299251

FuzzyBear

Mr. Bear, I am plugged straight in to the back of my PC. (Is that Safe?)  I just started mining PPC.  It seems to be working OK.  IT shows 330Mh/s like it should.  The pool just picked up that it is mining but hasn't from a block yet (only been a few minutes) 

I never figured out how to put in all that code.  IT just ask for the server then name and password.  I guess it is running on default.

let me know if I need to change anything.

PS.  Jesus Christ Mr. Bear you are everywhere. 

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 01:57:03 pm »

FuzzyBear

Mr. Bear, I am plugged straight in to the back of my PC. (Is that Safe?)  I just started mining PPC.  It seems to be working OK.  IT shows 330Mh/s like it should.  The pool just picked up that it is mining but hasn't from a block yet (only been a few minutes) 

I never figured out how to put in all that code.  IT just ask for the server then name and password.  I guess it is running on default.

let me know if I need to change anything.

PS.  Jesus Christ Mr. Bear you are everywhere.

Yeah mine is directly into the back of my PC ... I believe the issue was due to the wrong power adaptors being supplied with the powered USB hubs... some 1000mA cheap leads from china and the hub drawing too much and then spiking and frying the USB devices in there.... so if u just direct into your pc u should be fine as not heard any bad reports of that.

In order to run cgminer you can do it one of two ways....
the first which u are doing (and I used to) by double clicking the cgminer.exe executable and either inputting the URL and username etc or setting a cgminer.conf and holding all the info in there. 
The second way which allows you to run commands against the executable as i suggested in the post above, in order to do this u need to do the following:

Click the "start" icon > Type "CMD" into the search text area > you have just opened a command prompt...

Now open a windows explorer and navigate to you folder with the version of cgminer you want to run and copy the file location... something like C:CryptoCurrencies/Mining/CGminer3.0.1

now go back to the command prompt and type

cd C:CryptoCurrencies/Mining/CGminer3.0.1

and hit enter... this should take you to the directory with cgminer.exe in it on the command prompt...

Now you can run the command as i suggested in previous post

cgminer.exe --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S COM7

Also if you are fed up of typing in the URL each time you know the cgminer.conf file??  have a look at the "example.conf" file.... copy it and rename it to cgminer.conf and put in the URL's and passwords etc ... this allows you to setup  backup pools as well should the main pool u mining on goes down... trust me they do!! and it also allows you to tweak settings for your GPU etc if u mining on that as well....

I need to have a look round and see if there any other better parameters to run the USB devices on and I had some errors when doing this with cgminer 3.0.2 but that was a little while ago now so i'll see what I can find and i'll share it here.

NOTE *** If u hashing at 330MH then it all sounds good and there is a saying don't change something if it not broken!! so keep a copy of your exact setup before playing round with these different techniques to run cgminer.

Oh and me being everywhere!! hehe well i am a bit of a crypto junkie!! u see me on the PPC pool, u'll find me on here, and devcointalk.org as i run both these forums, been into crypto's for over a year now and also am an admin on devtome and have almost got my own Massively Merged mining pool setup :Dbut still needs work... just a shame I have a normal 9-5 job as well that takes up so much of my days, and I have a boat i live on that is badly in need of repair work being finished off and the crypto's distract me from that!! but it all good fun and I pleased to help out whereever i can and show my support to the communities :)

FuzzyBear
BTC: 1FvMYwtkrQakoL8Zq1GjfKqTkm2a7TKt6N  |  LTC: LbMPUzwPRkWa5hCJGrEiRCeoYExY6Ujt1D  |  DEV: 1JfbPx4nSGFxfzhTK1h3gHbp1E1BkFbwFW
PPC: PDtcFPhMa9Hc9zTfoRG7zcURCRpcpRdMym  |  TRC: 1FzdruHpffAeW2ZBctDLwR8P4APVpATu2j  |  FRC: 1BADxscUvT42SFXZwXgxEfWVDHkV1QPTEj
NMC: N7q9zg9h4Scfx6R25RTL8LdGxCBQbgq8wz  |