Author Topic: [Stratum][ESMPPS][PPLNS] TheSeven's PPCoin Pool - Official thread  (Read 19274 times)

Offline TheSeven

• View Profile
Re: [Stratum][ESMPPS][PPLNS] TheSeven's PPCoin Pool - Official thread
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2013, 09:24:28 am »
How are payments made on system are they sent out automatic and delayed payments?

Payments are made when you earn funds, i.e. when a block confirms for a reward model that you participated in. (12 or 520 confirmations required depending on the model).
However, to reduce blockchain spam, you will be paid at most once per hour, and only if you would be paid at least 10 PPC, or haven't been paid for 7 days.

As long as the pool stays below about 10% of the network hashrate, and your hashrate is at least 3% of the total hashrate of the reward model, you will in most cases be paid (almost) immediately when a block confirms. There will be a few minutes of delay for technical reasons. If the pool finds multiple blocks within an hour, the payments may be collected and grouped for up to an hour.

Offline crazyearner

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
    • CrazycoinTalk
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2013, 04:23:47 am »
SO what happens if you are 90% of the pool mining at  100GH or more then ?
New Website For The Masses All Alt Crypto Coins Welcome

Offline TheSeven

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2013, 11:23:28 pm »

90% of the pool isn't really special for that purpose. The pool being 90% of the network is special though, as it would mean that the "1 payment per address per hour" limit would kick in more often than not.

Offline crazyearner

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
    • CrazycoinTalk
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2013, 01:52:03 am »

90% of the pool isn't really special for that purpose. The pool being 90% of the network is special though, as it would mean that the "1 payment per address per hour" limit would kick in more often than not.

I didnt meant it like that I ment it as just within the pool not intire network towards others
New Website For The Masses All Alt Crypto Coins Welcome

Offline chordonblue

• View Profile
On GUIminer, RADEONS, and the end of frustration
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2013, 01:04:06 pm »
I'm back (vR)! OK, here's what I've discovered concerning AMD Radeons, their drivers, and the GUI PPcoin miner - everything's F@CKED. In a nutshell, 'Well... You gotta clean some stuff out, reboot, delete the driver, reboot, install an OLD driver, reboot. hope like hell you got it all, reboot. clean out more stuff, reboot. Go to sleep. Reboot. Wake up. Reboot...' You get the picture.  ;)

Now, here is the unbelievably EASIEST thing in the world to do: Get BFGminer. End of story.

Look, 'TheSeven' even has a script for you to enter your damn address in to create a batch script. It isn't rocket science after all. DO NOT FEAR THE COMMAND LINE! After I got it working (about 5 minutes worth of 'work'), I felt like a goddamned IDIOT. It's one thing to be lazy. It's entirely another to be SO lazy that you can't copy a simple batch script because the GUIminer should be easier. It should. It's not. Get over it.

Trust me, if you are running a relatively new RADEON, or have upgraded it's drivers to a more recent version because you still like to play 'Rage' on occasion - don't screw with GUIMiner (at least until someone updates/fixes the damned thing), just bite the bullet and use BFG. You'll be glad you did...

♪♫The More You Know...♫♪

One other thing to note. I don't think there's a comprehensive 'newbie' section, but there probably should be. I mean there's all sorts of guides out there (mostly dedicated to Bitcoin - not too different), but I'm reading a lot of confused people on here - especially about confirms. When the pool was smaller (and we didn't have multi-gigahashing monsters onboard) I waited almost a month before I reached even 12 confirms. Now that the pool has picked up, I'm getting them far more often. More people in the pool is a GOOD thing.

I think there's a misconception among people new to this that you can't compete with the big boys. BUT... No one's STEALING YOUR work. TheSeven makes a bit of a profit, yes, but considering the amount of work he's done, it's a small price to pay (thanks, guy!) Your work is still your work - and this is the major difference between PPcoin and Bitcoin. But, it still needs to be confirmed. The more processing power that's out there, the better. Plus, don't forget about your 'proof of stake'. If you're not running your wallet in 'unlocked for block minting' mode, you're doing yourself a disservice. Do a search on 'proof of stake', and read up.

The GUI PPcoin wallet is kinda foobared too, with no way to 'unlock' a locked wallet from within the GUI. You need to write a batch script for unlocking as well... Good luck out there.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:39:12 pm by chordonblue »

Offline TheSeven

• View Profile
Re: On GUIminer, RADEONS, and the end of frustration
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2013, 06:05:19 pm »
One other thing to note. I don't think there's a comprehensive 'newbie' section, but there probably should be. I mean there's all sorts of guides out there (mostly dedicated to Bitcoin - not too different), but I'm reading a lot of confused people on here - especially about confirms.
Yes, such a guide is definitely lacking - but I'll work on it once I actually find time to do so. There are still a few "work in progress" sections on the pool page.

When the pool was smaller (and we didn't have multi-gigahashing monsters onboard) I waited almost a month before I reached even 12 confirms. Now that the pool has picked up, I'm getting them far more often. More people in the pool is a GOOD thing.
Looks like you have a misconception about what confirms are. They have nothing to do with the pool speed. Let me explain:
When you send a bitcoin or ppcoin transaction, it will get buried into the block chain. Each block built on top of that chain confirms the transaction, so the number of those blocks is called the number of confirmations for that transaction.
The more confirmations a transaction has, the more secure (as in harder to revert) a transaction is. This is why e.g. exchanges typically require at least 6 or 12 confirmations for a deposit before they actually credit it.
Now when you mine a block, you will only receive the funds when that block confirms (has a certain number of confirmations, which is 120 for bitcoin and 520 for ppcoin). If the block gets orphaned during that period (which is unlikely but can happen either due to an attack, or just to multiple miners finding a block within a second or so), you lose the reward for that block. This is what happened if a block is shown as "failed" on the pool web site.
Now, because some people don't want to wait for about 3 days for those 520 confirmations to arrive before trading the coins to BTC or whatever, the pool offers to pay the miners after 12 confirmations (about 2 hours) already, before actually receiving the funds itself. This means that the pool needs some buffer of funds for these pre-payments (I invested 20000 PPC of my personal funds into that), and runs the risk of losing the block reward, but having to pay it to miners, if the block fails somewhere between 12 and 520 confirmations. That is even more unlikely, but it can happen. For these two reasons, I charge 2% of additional fee for this service.

I think there's a misconception among people new to this that you can't compete with the big boys. BUT... No one's STEALING YOUR work.
Exactly that. This is the whole point of a pool, isn't it?

TheSeven makes a bit of a profit, yes, but considering the amount of work he's done, it's a small price to pay (thanks, guy!)

Right now the balance of the pool is -1309.854601 PPC.
If the all blocks that are currently between 12 and 520 confirmations successfully confirm (and no new blocks would be mined during that time), the pool's balance would be 1653.305399 PPC.
And that doesn't take any hosting expenses etc. into account.
So in the best case the pool would have made a profit of about $200 by now.

Your work is still your work - and this is the major difference between PPcoin and Bitcoin.
Hm, I don't see a difference here, this should be true for both?

But, it still needs to be confirmed. The more processing power that's out there, the better.
I think you're referring to something else here. The pool has to actually mine some blocks, which will take months if it has a very low hashrate, but only hours if some ASICs join us. The confirmations are a different story and always take roughly the same amount of time AFTER a block is found, about 2 hours for 12 or 3 days for 520 confirmations.

Plus, don't forget about your 'proof of stake'. If you're not running your wallet in 'unlocked for block minting' mode, you're doing yourself a disservice. Do a search on 'proof of stake', and read up.
While that is true in theory, you aren't losing terribly much if you ignore proof of stake. At most you can lose your ~1% annual interest.

The GUI PPcoin wallet is kinda foobared too, with no way to 'unlock' a locked wallet from within the GUI. You need to write a batch script for unlocking as well... Good luck out there.
I hope this will get better in the next release.

Offline PPCoinFX

• Totally PPrime Optic!
    • View Profile
    • proxy.primeoptic.net
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2013, 06:33:45 pm »
Woo Hoo! Looks like I found my first ever PPCoin block in your pool...

Sun Jul 14 21:18:25 UTC+0100 2013 58451 362.36 PPC Passed 365 to go PPBWqKBwwtaSyzqYvLXRX6XviQuvk4y5Vv ESMPPS (12)

Perhaps I should start solo mining instead ?  :o

~ TheSeven's PPCoin Pool FTW !  :)
XPM: AVMUu1fQc7wEUAhva7Gxrz7aZiJZvwvWaD - Primed at ypool: http://ypool.net

PPC: PPBWqKBwwtaSyzqYvLXRX6XviQuvk4y5Vv - Hashing at TheSeven's Pool: http://theseven.bounceme.net/~theseven/pool/

Offline DROS

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2013, 05:17:44 pm »
Hi guys =)

Can any body help me ? I'm mining last 3 or 4 day, but 2 days ago balance is stop counting =(. WTF ?

*sorry for my bad English =)

Offline purelithium

• Hello I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2013, 01:44:22 am »
Stats are down?

Offline chordonblue

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2013, 06:05:45 am »
OK, moving right along! Just got a new Radeon 7970 online. At some point, I'm going to install the dual 6970's in a machine also, and add them to the mix. Went from ~350 to ~600 Mhashs now. Nowhere close to Minnesota Mining (whoever THAT crazy bastard is!), of course, but a terrific leap for me!  ;)

Offline FuzzyBear

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2013, 01:34:07 pm »
OK, moving right along! Just got a new Radeon 7970 online. At some point, I'm going to install the dual 6970's in a machine also, and add them to the mix. Went from ~350 to ~600 Mhashs now. Nowhere close to Minnesota Mining (whoever THAT crazy bastard is!), of course, but a terrific leap for me!  ;)

welcome to the rat mining race :Pis a conastant struggle to keep ur hashrate up at something sensible... though I would advise you look into ASIC's or FPGA's as the electricity consumption of GPU's will simply make them too expensive to run as miners on SHA256 coins

FuzzyBear
BTC: 1FvMYwtkrQakoL8Zq1GjfKqTkm2a7TKt6N  |  LTC: LbMPUzwPRkWa5hCJGrEiRCeoYExY6Ujt1D  |  DEV: 1JfbPx4nSGFxfzhTK1h3gHbp1E1BkFbwFW
PPC: PDtcFPhMa9Hc9zTfoRG7zcURCRpcpRdMym  |  TRC: 1FzdruHpffAeW2ZBctDLwR8P4APVpATu2j  |  FRC: 1BADxscUvT42SFXZwXgxEfWVDHkV1QPTEj
NMC: N7q9zg9h4Scfx6R25RTL8LdGxCBQbgq8wz  |

Offline AlexMc

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2013, 09:39:52 am »
Just busy trying to setup my USB block erupters to mine PPC in this pool.

I was wondering if there was something wrong with the website.  I've put in my Payment Address, and the Connection Data section just has "Loading..." next to the Host name and Port, and no info for Username, or Password.

Looks like I'm solo mining, until I can get this sorted.
XPM: AHAvjpJMzyhRF9urRzNDajrCLe6DJ981Zy